Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Winter Fuel Payment - for all (?) British European Pensioners

The Saga of the Winter Fuel Payment

The attached letter (which see) was sent from the DWP to one of the correspondents of 'pensioners debout!'.
The very elderly couple who received this letter left Britain on retirement to France before 1998.  They have not received the WFP  because it did not exist at the time when they moved. The DWP have up to now claimed that under EU law only those who received it before leaving the UK should receive it!  The letter shows that the DWP is now thinking differently.
I know that this payment will help this couple immensely. 
This accomplishment results from the endeavours of David Burrage co-founder of the Spanish Expatriates Association. http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/

My efforts have been minimal and I give all honour to those who can tackle  these matters.  I report the result.

If you would have received the WFP if you were living in the UK, then apply - all contact details are on the letter  head. The phone number is ++44 191 21 87777 if it is not clear to read.
 
Link on the letter to enlarge it and to return press escape.
ALSO - if you know (as I do) of retired brits who do not possess a computer and who also do not receive the WFP then talk to them and tell them.  There are quite a few who desperately need this cash and have no idea that they are losing out.
***************
Further - 'Representation' The kind of progress above does not come without effort (we used to say 'with the milk').  It depends on people standing up for what is morally just!
Forces powered by journals like The Sun, The Mail and certain narrow thinking politicians act against our interest.  Without treaties signed between the UK  and the EU none of us could live freely in other European countries. The expatriate needs a dialogue with the home Government.  Gradually 'petit à petit' the UK has to take a full role in Europe.
It is for this reason vitally important that expatriates have full Representation to the British Government.  Please search the Index for postings on this topic and to discover what you can do.
look at.....
http://pensionersdebout.blogspot.com/2012/08/campaign-for-representation-vote-for.html
and to add your vote and comments go here>>   www.votes-for-expat-brits.com
There are only a handful of people who are extremely active in any of these causes. They need the support of  the many Britons abroad.
There comes a time when all must stand against the antipathetic forces and stand for justice.  So that Britain can truly claim to be a democratic State and we Britons can hold our heads high and say 'we are proud to be British'.

13 comments:

  1. Well done to everyone involved in highlighting this, we'll certainly be contacting the DWP. And thank you Brian for the work you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! everyone who has worked doggedly over the years for this. I'm ashamed to have been so defeatist. We retired to France when my husband was already eligible & receiving the WFP & it was a godsend during our -15decC o/night winter temperatures. My husband died during September the year I reached qualifying age, I was certainly not going to leave him during my qualifying week at such a time. So I've never received WFP, it's a serious struggle & I know my husband would have hated my not receiving help that I'd 'earned' with 40 years of paying full NI. The UK press seems to concentrate on pensioners retired to southern Spain or the Canaries! I can't thank you enough, Pensioners Debout! Well, yes, I can, by joining in some of your other campaigns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also say well done.

    I rang the DWP when my husband and I became 60 and received a letter from the DWP saying that my husband and I are not entitled to the WFA as we left to live in France before we were 60. I asked them what I had been paying national insurance for all my working life. I also mentioned that, on the 'Today' programme (Radio 4) a government spokes person had stated that the WFA was an integral part of the old age pension: when I asked about this I was told this was not true.

    We live in the Creuse near Aubusson and the winter temperatures have been as low as -27C. I will be calling the DWP and will keep you informed as to their reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo to you for obtaining this for us. I retired at 60 in Jan 2007 and came over to France in June 2007. I had tried to register for the WFA beofre I left the Uk but was told I couldn't register until September. When I tried from France in the september, I was told that as I'd quit the UK in June two months before the first relaxation I could not claim it. I've just completed a 12 page application for back payment but don't think I'll get it, but hopefully will get it going forward. I too worked for 44 years in the Uk and paid full NI all my working life living here, lots of people who moved later than me were entitled where's the equality in that. I live in the Creuse and it was -25 for 2 weeks here last year everything froze, and the WFA would have been most useful. Well done to all of you. Thanks Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to say these things - I must repeat that I am just reporting this. David Burrage has done much. Of course every bit of pushing must help!
      I really, really hope that everyone will push for Representation for the Britons Abroad to the UK Government. I believe it to be essential.
      Go to www.votes-for-expat-brits. And look at
      http://pensionersdebout.blogspot.com/2012/08/campaign-for-representation-vote-for.html

      Delete
  5. re winter fuel payments
    I have written to The Connection France who indicated that its content might be of interest to you. I pointed out that if it is legal in 2012 it must surely have been since its inception. Backpayments???
    I am writing to Steve Webb who was very helpful concerning retrospective NI contributions, let's see if he is as forthcoming in government as in opposition!!
    I will post a copy of my letter and reply when available
    mikejohn (manche)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I immediately sent off the application form for the winter fuel allowance. I fulfill the criteria i.e. borne before 1957, in receipt of a UK old age pension. I have just got a letter back from them the date on it is Sept 12th 2012 (which I understood was the deadline for applications) it says the following: Thank you for your claim for winter fuel payment. I am wqriting to tell you that you are not entitled to this payment. This is because your claim was received after 30 March, following the winter for which you have claimed. So that puts paid to 2011. I have yet to receive a response about the 2012 payment. But suspect I'll get a similar reply although they had my application in good time. I will post it when received. Mad as hell now.

      Delete
    2. As someone said a 'b.gg..'s muddle!' I think you will get the 2012 payment which should be paid in late November. If perhaps you had made a claim before last March 30th which at the time would of course had been refused, it is just possible that such a claim would have been awakened by your more recent claim. www.votes-for-expat-brits.com

      Delete
  6. The situation is becoming like something out of Kafka. This morning I received in the mail an application form for the 2012/2013 payment which I have already applied for. I called Nottingham to be told that I'd completed the 'wrong' payment application although when I downloaded it it did state quite clearly 2012!!!! Have duly filled in yet another claim form (my third) and have submitted today. No doubt I'll get it back as completed it in blue ink......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more that this is a mess.I don't know if this would apply to you, but I have found a DMG (decision makers guide) on the dwp website under publicatios, which clearly states that there was no time limit for claims prior to 2000 and that they should be paid providing all other criteria were satisfied. An abortive phone to dwp who denied all knowledge of this. I have written requesting claim forms & enclosing copies. Will keep posted on developments. I suspect they are playing for time in the hope they can wriggle out of it.

      Delete
  7. Latest news. I have now received wfp for the current year and also 1997/8 1998/9 & 1999/2000. As my circustances were exactly the same for the years between these dates, I am going to pusue backpayments for them. I don't believe that the dmp's reliance on out of date claims would stand up in the courts, as it was made impossibe to claim at the time.
    Has anyone else like "tonyblog" had a claim rejected on thes grounds?
    Anyone interested in joining me in this? Would like to hear from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have received WFP for this year but have been turned down for all the years from 2007 which was the year I became eligible. I did telephone each year during the period when you could claim to be told I wasn't eligible as first claim made once I'd left UK - even though I became a pensioner during my time in the UK. I too feel they should pay up for all the years as my circumstances haven't changed either. Like to hear from others on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been trying to get a reply from DWPS, but am being passed round the block with promises of an answer which never materialises. The last response was that the person with whom I was in correspodence, was waiting for a reply from their policy department - that was 3 months ago.It would appear to me that their policy is to avoid saying that I was no t entitled to back payments so that the decicsion could not be challenged. Normally the next step would be to use the press, but unfortunately they have been nobbled and we have already been labelled as greedy expats sitting on their yachts in the Mediterrean sipping champagne cocktails. I am not going to give up on this and any suggestions as to other approaches would be welcome.
      mikejohn

      Delete